UPDATE: 20 December 2013 @ 8:38am
The motor pump is fixed and running and Maselspoort is supplying water to the City. However please note that the water tanks will remain available until reservoir levels have returned to normal.
Reasons why the city could not meet the deadline of 36 hours as indicated yesterday:
- The pump that we are currently fixing is old and the spares thereof are scarce and it can only be modified. (The modification and machine process takes place in Johannesburg.)
- The part that we are currently struggling with is on its way and the actual placement will take place this afternoon.
- The city has come up with a contingency plan and the following areas will be getting water through water tankers:
- Aliquando Old Age Home
- Heuwelkruin Church (Lucas Steyn Street)
2. Pentagon Park
- Cul de sac below the Seven Dams Old Age Home
- Heuwelsig Church
4. Dan Pienaar
- Willem Postma Primary School (opposite Berg-en-dal church in drop-off area)
- Entrance to Bram Fischer Building (Glaspaleis)
- Bayswater Shell Service Station (opposite Bayswater Police Station)
7. Raymond Mhlaba Street (old Andries Pretorius Street)
- Park to the north of the Spar (before new traffic circle)
These tankers will be continuously refilled and all the businesses that are affected will also be catered for through our emergency services.
Members of the public will be kept abreast with the developments and the total restoration of the water.
The water that will be supplied has been tested, and is safe for consumption. The testing will be done continuously.