Council Item: JUNE 2021 – MFMA Section 54 (C): Revised Service Delivery and Budget Implementation Plan (SDBIP) [2020/2021]
The Municipal Finance Management Act (MFMA) No. 56 of 2003, Section 54 (d) state that: on receipt of a statement or report submitted by the accounting officer of the municipality in terms 71 or 72, the mayor must amongst others – (c) consider and, if necessary, make any revisions to the Service Delivery and Budget Implementation Plan (SDBIP) provided that revisions to the service delivery targets and performance indicators in the plan may only be made with the approval of the council following the approval of an adjustment budget.
Following the above, on 29 March 2021 National Treasury published Government Notice 279 (Government Gazette No. 44349) in respect of an amendment to the Division of Revenue Act (4/2020) as well as the Division of Revenue Second Amendment Act (20/2020) in relation to changes in the allocation of conditional grants.
Furthermore, a summary of the key interventions and considerations made by the City to maintain continued service delivery and the completion of critical projects as part of mitigating the impact of the above notice, are as follows:
- Reconciliation of current year USDG projects and rolled over projects;
- Reprioritisation of projects to accelerate spending on committed projects;
- Aligning USDG projects with the MTREF Budget of 2021/22 to ensure continuity of projects;
- Reprioritisation of own funded projects to allow for continuity of critical USDG projects;
- Reprioritisation of uncommitted operational repairs and maintenance to ensure continuity of critical USDG projects
It is on this basis that the city had to revise its Service Delivery and Budget Implementation Plan (SDBIP) for the remaining period of the 2020/2021 financial year. Moreover, it should be noted that the city’s IDP objectives are still aligned to the revised SDBIP.
a) To request the Council to approve the revised Service Delivery and Budget Implemetation Plan for the 2020/2021,
b) The approved revised SDBIP will be sent to National Treasury and Provincial Treasury; and
c) The SDBIP will be published on the municipal website.